Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Conference time

Ugh. I picked up a certain 7yo today who promptly burst into tears in the backseat. :(

Apparently he got his desk moved right next to the teacher today. I am in shock.

I reallyreally don't want to be Denial Mom or (worse!) Helicopter Mom. Or Over-reacting-My-Kid-is-Being-Bullied Mom.

But I called the school for a conference today to get the rest of this story because for me, it's completely out of left field. He missed sports class (it's basically recess) today and had to sit in the classroom. He told me he decided not to speak for the rest of the day because he was afraid he would start crying in front of everyone.

Gah!!! I am so sad for him!!! And he is never in trouble at school as far as I've ever known!

But instead of reacting (okay - I did react at first but thankfully the school did not answer and Brian did - and he is always the sane voice of reason), I am thinking about having him write an apology letter to the teacher. Although Brian is against that because we still don't even know what's happened.

I don't know.

The thing that gets me... He is clearly the smartest kid in that class. And we neverever hear anything about that. No compliments, nothing. The reading is way too easy and they get timed tests everyday in math where ZZ is first done every single flippin day. I've let all that slide because I like the classical and strict nature of the school. And I don't want to get into the "he's bored" excuse because I don't think that's acceptable either. But now he's in trouble?

I look back onto the students who's desks I moved when I taught, and they were the bad kids. Is my kid the bad kid??? Why haven't they told me anything that's happening? I'm so confused.

No comments: