Not trying to jinx myself in any way whatsoever, so don't make any further mention of it, or make a big deal about it, because I'm concerned it was just an oversight by the gods of morning sickness, who hate me by the way. BUT...
I didn't take a zofran today because I didn't feel very nauseous.
So, hopefully, my life will resume to normal, at least for the next couple of months, until we become that family with the three wild children who outnumber us and conspire daily to take us down.
I am really hoping, since it's been 16 weeks and all, that Mom can start feeling normal again. Because, sometimes the house falls apart when Mom's sick. And when the house falls apart for 16 weeks, it ain't pretty.
On top of that, it's been a challenging couple of months with other issues, and I know it's been SO hard on Brian to not have a real active partner or helper or just someone to listen to. Because even though I'm a keep-it-in-until-I-go-mental, he's definitely a talk-it-out-er. And with no one to talk it out with, he's been struggling. Plus our church visitation has been sporatic with my sickness and Selah Grace's general dislike of the nursery. And Brian is constantly listening to or watching sermons, but that just doesn't compare to the fellowship we get from actually GOING.
Last night, we were able to have a long talk. Which hasn't happened in a long time. And it's something we love to do. And we talked and talked and talked. Me on our bed, him on a big old king sized bed in a hotel room in a city that I should know, but I kind of lose track where he is most of the time since he travels pretty often.
Anyways, some of our longest conversations are over the phone. :)
One of the things we talked about last night is something that comes up often. And it's something I'm assuming lots of us struggle with at some point or another.
Watching other people spend money.
I think because we spend a lot of time working our budget, it sometimes sticks out to us how other people spend. And I don't guess you ever really know how other people spend their money. Some people spend a lot and look wealthy, when they are actually in debt or get money from family. Some people don't spend much and look broke. We have friends that can afford private schools and nice cars and mother's day out and shopping and house upgrades and stuff, stuff, stuff. As we work with a shoestring budget, it's sometimes hard not to get caught up in it all. And we wonder how people do it!
And one of the things I DON'T want is for Brian to feel like he isn't a good provider, because staying home with my babies is more important to me than what I drive or what I wear or the number of times we see a movie at the theater together. (which, is actually only 1 time...haha)
Sometimes, I tease about Brian always wanting to go over our budget, but I really really appreciate his drive and determination to complete our financial goals. Because it might not look like much now, but I know we are making really big steps towards our future. And I really appreciate that he includes me, so I know exactly what is happening with our money and can help make good choices that support that.
And I remind him that we live off less than HALF his paycheck right now. Isn't that nuts?! We aren't only a one-income family, but more like a 1/2-income family! I remind him to look at my grandparents, who are so comfortable because of very wise, sound financial decisions. They pay cash for everything. One set even has "no credit" to show for it - HA! We don't touch our 401K and Brian's has way more than the minimum. We don't spend our tax return. We put this tiny portion of money into our checking account each month and never see anything else. We are putting THREE car seats in the back of my old toyota corolla.
But the hard part is that we don't have anything to show for it. In fact, I know sometimes we seem odd. And you can get caught up in that, too! Because instead of showing fun pictures of going out or new wood flooring, we are just hanging out in our little apartment with no cable, doing a puzzle or something. And honestly, people really don't want to hear about how you are saving money. It's not as fun as talking about shopping. :)
Someday. Someday we'll be able to go to family church camp in the summer. Someday I'll have that bigger car. Someday I won't want to cry after accidentally throwing away a brand new book of stamps because I really wanted to spend my last couple of extra dollars on some Fruit Loops.
Although, we joke that maybe by that time, we'll be so miserly, that we'll hoard what we have. LOL!
Really, though, our "someday" is just barely two short years away. And we are encouraged by God's word and all the bible verses on stewarship and debt. And I know, barring any more of Selah Grace's astronomical medical bills, we can get there!!!
That's all I got for tonight. I'm sewing today!!! :) I've been wanting to sew for weeks, but didn't have it in me. I'll have pics soon. :)
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment